lower left: R.Earl / Pinxt / 1788
By descent from the sitter to Annie Munro West [1858-1919], Macon, Georgia; bequest to her nephew Addison Tinsley West [1897-1985], Orlando, Florida; sold 21 February 1963 to (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York); purchased 15 March 1963 by Edgar William and Mrs. Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1965 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by the Council on Economic Policy, Office of the Secretary of the Treasury, The White House, 1973-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Frank Carlucci, U.S. Embassy residence, Lisbon, Portugal, 1976-1979.
- Men and Women: Dressing the Part, National Museum of American History, Washington, D.C., 1989-1991, no cat.
- Ralph Earl: The Face of the Young Republic, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1991-1992, 142, no. 23.
- de Beixedon, Jr., Edward Francis Frémaux. The Ancestors and Descendants of Dr. David Rogers. 1921: repro. opp. 2.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 54, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 151, repro.
- Kornhauser, Elizabeth Mankin. Ralph Earl: Artist-Entrepreneur. Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1988: 121-122, 314-315.
- Kornhauser, Elizabeth Mankin. Ralph Earl: The Face of the Young Republic. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth. New Haven, London, and Hartford, 1991: 142, no. 23.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 168, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 91-92, color repro. 93.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: