Recorded as from Massachusetts. Descended in the family of the sitter to Drewville Jeffery, whose wife was a descendant of the sitter. (John Esposito, city unknown), by whom sold in 1964 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1971.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Between the Rivers: Itinerant Painters from the Connecticut to the Hudson, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Inst., Williamstown; Mus. of Fine Arts, Springfield, MA, 1990-1991, no. 28 (not shown at third venue, Hudson River Mus. of Westchester, Yonkers).
- A Perfect Likeness: Folk Portraits and Early Photography, Fenimore Art Museum, New York State Historical Association, Cooperstown, 2015, no catalogue.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 160, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 179, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 119, 122, color repro. 121.