on reverse (no longer visible, photograph in NGA curatorial files): Child of Fairfield, Esqr. By W. M. Prior, Jan. 1850; 36 Trenton St.
Recorded as from Pennsylvania. (Leon F.S. Stark, Philadelphia); sold 1969 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1971 to NGA.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Small Folk: A Celebration of Childhood in America, organized by Museum of American Folk Art, NGA loans shown at The New-York Historical Society, New York, 1980-1981, no. 219, color repro. (cat. by Sandra Brant and Elissa Cullman).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, no. 1, color repro. on cover (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 50, color repro. Fist venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 50, repro.
- Artist and Visionary: William Matthew Prior Revealed, Fenimore Art Museum, New York State Historical Association, Cooperstown; American Folk Art Museum, New York, 2012, no. 39, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 213, repro.
- Wertzenkorn, Laurie. "The Garbisch Collection at the National Gallery of Art." Antiques (September 1983): 486-491, pl. 3.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 291, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 267, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 301, 304, color repro. 303.