lower left: C. S. Raleigh / 1881
Recorded as from Connecticut. (The Old Print Shop, New York), by whom sold in 1964 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1971.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- American Naive Paintings from the Naitonal Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 53, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 53, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 214, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 269, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 315, color repro. 316.