on coal car: Boston and North / Chungahochie / I[N] [G]OD WE TR[UST]
Recorded as from Massachusetts. (John Bihler and Henry Coger, Ashley Falls, Massachusetts), by whom sold in 1962 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1971.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Maxwell M. Rabb, U.S. Embassy residence, Rome, Italy, 1981-1988.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 266, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 390, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 426-428, repro. 427.