in unknown hand, lower right: A Carracci.; across top verso: 65 Annibale Carracci. A Head of a Bacchus: a / study from the antique: pen & bistre ... Thomas Lawrence
Marks and Labels
Ellesmere (L. Supp.2710b)
M. Brunet (according to 1836 Lawrence Gallery catalogue); Samuel Woodburn; Sir Thomas Lawrence (Lugt 2445); Samuel Woodburn; Lord Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere (Lugt 2701b), and by descent (sale, Sotheby's, London, 11 July 1972, no. 29); purchased by P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., Ltd., for NGA, purchase in 1972.
- The Lawrence Gallery, Sixth Exhibition, Messrs. Woodburn's Gallery, London, 1836, no. 93 (as Annibale).
- The Ellesmere Collection of Old Master Drawings, Museums and Art Gallery, Leicester, 1954, no. 34 (P. A. Tomory).
- NGA Recent Acquisitions 1974, no. 29.
- Catalogue of the Ellesmere Collection of Drawings at Bridgewater House. London, 1898: no. 65, as Annibale.
- Bohlin, Diane De Grazia. Prints and Related Drawings by the Carracci Family, A Catalogue Raisonne. Washington, 1979: 456, fig. 19a.