in later hand, lower center: Lod.co Caracci; across center verso on mount: 49. Lodovico Carracci. The Madonna & Child / enthroned in clouds ... Sir Thomas / Lawrence
Count Bianconi (according to an inscription on the back of the mount); Samuel Woodburn; Sir Thomas Lawrence (Lugt 2445); Samuel Woodburn; Lord Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere and by descent (sale, Sotheby's, London, 11 July 1972, no. 20); to P. & D. Colnaghi, Ltd., London, for NGA, purchase in 1972.
- The Lawrence Gallery, Sixth Exhibition, Messrs. Woodburn's Gallery, London, 1836, no. 7.
- The Ellesmere Collection of Old Master Drawings, Museums and Art Gallery, Leicester, 1954, no. 23 (P. A. Tomory).
- A Loan Exhibition of Drawings by the Carracci and Other Masters from the Collection of the Earl of Ellesmere, P. & D. Colnaghi, London, 1955, no. 3.
- Catalogue of the Ellesmere Collection of Drawings at Bridgewater House. London, 1898: no. 49.
- Bodmer, Heinrich. Lodovico Carracci. Burg bei Magdeburg, 1939: 150, no. 51.