Descended in the artist's family to Mrs. Adin Field, North Amherst, Massachusetts, from whom acquired in 1942 by her cousin, Mrs. Victor H. (Eleanor) Wesson. (Robert Schuyler Tomkins, Sheffield, Massachusetts), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1978.
- Somebody's Ancestors, Museum of Fine Arts, Springfield, Massachusetts, 1942, no. 10.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Erastus Salisbury Field, Amherst Historical Society, Massachusetts, with the Department of Fine Arts, Amherst College, 1947, no. 16.
- Erastus Salisbury Field: 1805-1900, traveling exhibition, 1984-1985, no. 75, fig. 36, (cat. by Mary C. Black). First venue: Museum of Fine Arts, Springfield, Massachusetts.
- French, Reginald F., and Agnes M. Dods. "Erastus Salisbury Field, 1805-1900." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 28 (October 1963): 130, no. 262 (includes their "Checklist of Paintings attributed to E. S. Field").
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 159, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 181, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 129-130, color repro. 130.