Recorded as from Connecticut. (Mary Allis, Southport, Connecticut), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1978.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Maxwell M. Rabb, U.S. Embassy residence, Rome, Italy, 1981-1988.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Gerald S. McGowan, U.S. Embassy residence, Lisbon, Portugal, 1999-2001 (unnumbered brochure, repro.).
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Al Hoffman, U.S. Embassy residence, Lisbon, Portugal, 2006-2009.
- Sawitzky, William. "Ralph Earl's Historical Painting, `A View of the Town of Concord.'" Antiques 28 (September 1935): 94, 98-100.
- Quimby, Ian M. G. "The Doolittle Engravings of the Battle of Lexington and Concord." Winterthur Portfolio 4 (1968): 83-105.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 301, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 431, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 622-624, color repro. 623.