lower right: AEtate 19- / Ao 1737-
Recorded as from Kingston, New York. (Jack Bender, city unknown), by whom sold in 1953 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, not included in cat.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955 (replaced another painting and shown about one week).
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Colleciton of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 11, color repro., as by Unknown. First venue: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, N.Y.
- Merchants and Planters of the Upper Hudson Valley 1700-1750, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg; Albany Institute of History and Art; Museum of American Folk Art and New-York Historical Soc., New York, 1967, unnumbered brochure.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Colleciton of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 10, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, organized by the Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., and Mainichi News., Nihobashi Mitsukoshi, Tokyo, 1970, no cat.
- The New World: 1620-1970, Chrysler Art Museum, Provincetown, Massachusetts, 1970, no. 2.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 31, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 31, repro.
- Black, Mary C. "The Gansevoort Limner." Antiques 96 (November 1969): 738, 741-743.
- Black, Mary C. "Pieter Vanderlyn and Other Limners of the Upper Hudson." In American Painting to 1776: A Reappraisal. Edited by Ian M. G. Quimby. Charlottesville, Va., 1971: 237.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 187, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 148, color repro. 149.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: