on reverse (no longer visible; photo in object file [1980.62.1] in NGA curatorial records): T. Davies Bangor / Facit Feb 1827.
Recorded as from Kingston, New York. (Joseph Coty, city unknown), by whom sold in 1959 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Gerald P. Carmen, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Mission residence, Geneva, Switzerland, 1984-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Morris B. Abram, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Mission residence, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989-1993.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Robert Zoellick, U.S. Trade Representative, Washington, D.C., 2001-2005.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 291, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 156, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 79-81, repro. 80.