OverviewInformation on this painting can be found in the Gallery publication American Naive Paintings, pages 22-24, which is available as a free PDF https://www.nga.gov/content/dam/ngaweb/research/publications/pdfs/American%20Naive%20Painting.pdf
on reverse: C. V. Bond, / Chicago, / 1856.
Recorded as from Chicago. (Childs Gallery, Boston), by whom sold in 1948 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the Int'l. Exhib. Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 11, color repro., b/w detail, 12. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 11, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 86, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 34, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 22-24, color repro. 23.
- Payne, Suzanne Rudnick, and Michael R. Payne. "'Very Respectfully Yours &c/ Isaac W. Nuttman'." Antiques (January/February 2010): 256, 257 nn. 10,11, fig. 8, as Possibly by Charles V. Bond or Possibly by Isaac W. Nuttman.
- Pennington, Estill Curtis. Lessons in Likeness: Portrait Painters in Kentucky and the Ohio River Valley, 1902-1920. Lexington, 2011: 112.