Recorded as from Maryland. Collateral descendants of the sitter to Joseph Chamberlaine Hayward, Easton, Maryland, by whom sold in 1948 through (Richard Goldsborough, Easton, Maryland) to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 11.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 10, color repro., as by John Hesselius. First venue: Metropolitan Mus. of Art, N.Y.
- Winchester, Alice. "Antiques" (editorial), Antiques 65 (April 1954): 282-283.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 424, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 586-588, color repro. 587.