Recorded as from "New York City,...but originated in Massachusetts." (Springfield, Massachusetts, dealer [probably Peter Kostoff], May 1940); by whom sold to (Downtown Gallery, New York, 1940), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- Opening Exhibition, Downtown Gallery, New York, 1940, no cat.
- Inter-American Folk Arts, Downtown Gallery, New York, 1942-1943, no cat.
- American Primitive Painting of Four Centuries, Arts Club of Chicago, 1943, no. 29.
- The American Family: Folk Paintings 1750-1850, Downtown Gallery, New York, 1948, no. 8.
- American Primitive Painting 1750-1950, Milwaukee Art Institute, 1951, no. 3.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 88.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 58, color repro. First venue: The Metropolitna Museum of Art, N.Y.
- Fifty Masterpieces of American Painting from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, Florida, 1967, no cat.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 63, repro, First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 56, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 56, repro.
- Brant, Sandra, and Elissa Cullman. Small Folk: A Celebration of Childhood in America. New York, 1980: 71.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 343, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 374, repro. 375.