Recorded as from Connecticut. Descended in the family of the sitter. (Victor Spark, New York), by whom sold in 1947 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 20.
- American Primitive Paintings, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1955 (shown only two weeks and replaced).
- Little, Nina Fletcher. The Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Collection. Boston and Toronto, 1957: 100-101.
- Black, Mary, and Jean Lipman. American Folk Painting. New York, 1966: 20-21.
- Schloss, Christine Skeeles. The Beardsley Limner and Some Contemporaries: Postrevolutionary Portraiture in New England, 1775-1805. Exh. cat. Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Va., 1972: 36.
- Harlow, Thompson R. "The Life and Trials of Joseph Steward." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 46 (October 1981): 111, 117, 126, 129.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 157, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 83, 86, color repro. 84.