Recorded as from New York. Purchased in 1955 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 16.
- Feld, Stuart, and Albert Ten Eyck Gardiner. American Paintings: A Catalogue of the Collection of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Greenwich, Connecticut, 1965: 56.
- Little, Nina Fletcher. Paintings by New England Provincial Artists 1775-1800. Exh. cat. Musuem of Fine Arts, Boston, 1976: 96.
- Kelly, Franklin W. "The Portraits of John Durand." Antiques 122 (November 1982): 1084, 1087 n. 26.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 162, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 96-97, color repro. 98.