lower left: c GRANT / WOOD / 1939
Mr. and Mrs. Irwin Stasburger, White Plains, New York; bequest 1982 to NGA.
- John Steuart Curry and Grant Wood: A Portrait of Rural America, Cedar Rapids Art Center; Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art, Wichita State University; Museum of Art and Archaeology, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1981, no. 149.
- America in Transition: Benton and His Contemporaries, 1920-1940, Williams College Museum of Art, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 1985.
- Extended loan for use by Vice President and Mrs. George Bush, Vice President's House, Washington, D.C., 1987-1989.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, 1990-1991.
- One-Hundredth Birthday Anniversary Celebration, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, 1991.
- Barn Again, National Building Museum, Washington, D.C., 1994, no catalogue.
- Grant Wood: An American Master Revealed, Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha, Nebraska; Davenport Museum of Art, Iowa; Worcester Art Museum, Massachusetts, 1995-1996, no. 55, pl. 9.
- Double Lives: American Painters as Illustrators, 1850-1950, Brandywine River Museum, Chadds Ford; New Britain Museum of American Art, 2008-2009, unnumbered catalogue.
- Sutton, Denis. "Antoine Watteau: Enigmatic Ironist." Apollo CXXI (1985): 150, reprod.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 384, repro.