center left reverse, sideways: 1934 / Rural Scene / MARK Rothko
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
Associated NamesRothko Foundation, Inc., Mark, The
- Mark Rothko, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris, 1998-1999, no. 2 (NGA/WMAA cat.), repro. (shown only in Washington and New York).
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Ed Schafer, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 2008.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Arne Duncan, U.S. Department of Education, Washington, D.C., 2009-2016.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 281, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 83, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: