upper right reverse: MARK ROTHKO / 1948
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
Associated NamesRothko Foundation, Inc., Mark, The
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Allen Blinken, U.S. Embassy residence, Brussels, Belgium, 1994-1998.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1999-2001.
- Shaping a Generation: The Art and Artists of Betty Parsons, Heckscher Museum of Art, Huntington, New York, 1999, unnumbered catalogue.
- Mark Rothko, Portland Art Museum, Oregon, 2012, no catalogue.
- Mark Rothko: The Decisive Decade, 1940-1950, Columbia Museum of Art, South Carolina; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; Denver Art Museum; The Arkansas Arts Center, Little Rock, 2012-2014, no. 39, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 312, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 389, repro.
- Langley, Allison, and Suzanne Quillen Lomax. "Mark Rothko's Multiforms, 1946-1950: Transforming the Painted Surface." Facture 2 (2015): 111-137, fig. 13 (detail), Table 1 no. 12.