upper right reverse: MARK ROTHKO / 1956
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
Associated NamesRothko Foundation, Inc., Mark, The
- After Matisse, traveling exh. organized by Independent Curators, Inc., 7 venues, 1986-1988, unnumbered catalogue, repro. (shown only at Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C.; Dayton Art Institute; Worcester Art Museum, 1987-1988).
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Robert H. Pelletreau, U.S. Embassy residence, Cairo, Egypt, 1991-1994.
- Extended loan for use by Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 2001-2009.
- Mark Rothko: Paintings from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, Muzeum Narodowe w Warszawie [National Museum], Warsaw, 2013.
- Mark Rothko: Works from the Collection of the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, The Hague; Hangaram Art Museum, Seoul Arts Center, South Korea, 2014-2015.
- Mark Rothko: A Retrospective, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 2015-2016.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 319, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 570, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: