upper right reverse: MARK ROTHKO / 1956
The artist [1903-1970]; his estate; consigned 1970 to (Marlborough Gallery, Inc., New York); transferred 1977 back to the artist's estate; transferred 1979 to The Mark Rothko Foundation, Inc., New York; gift 1986 to NGA.
- Extended Loan to the White House for use by President George W. Bush, 2001-2003.
- After Matisse, traveling exh. organized by Independent Curators, Inc., 7 venues, 1986-1988, unnumbered catalogue, repro. (shown only at Phillips Collection, Washington, D.C.; Dayton Art Institute; Worcester Art Museum, 1987-1988).
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Robert H. Pelletreau, U.S. Embassy residence, Cairo, Egypt, 1991-1994.
- Mark Rothko: A Retrospective, Gemeentemuseum Den Haag, The Hague; Hangaram Art Museum, Seoul Arts Center, Seoul; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Houston, 2014 - 2016, unnumbered catalogue.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 319, repro.
- Anfam, David. Mark Rothko: The Works on Canvas: Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven and London, 1998: no. 570, repro.