Marks and Labels
within a double circle
The artist's nephews, Benedetto and Cesare Gennari, Casa Gennari, Bologna; by descent to Carlo Gennari; Francesco Forni, Bologna; John Bouverie (d. 1750); his nephew, Mr. Christopher Hervey (d. 1786); his aunt, Elizabeth Bouverie (d. 1798); by inheritance to Sir Charles Middleton (1726-1813); by descent to his grandson, Charles Noel (1781-1866), who was created 1st Earl of Gainsborough in 1841 (sale, London, 20 July 1859, possibly lot 71, "a study of two figures"; the Bouverie mark, Lugt 325, was probably placed on the drawing at this sale). Private collection (sale, Bonham's, London, 16 June 1988, no. 11); (Hazlitt, Gooden & Fox, London); NGA purchase in 1989.
- European Drawings, Recent Acquisitions, Hazlitt, Gooden & Fox, London, 1988, no. 27.
- Giovanni Francesco Barbieri, Il Guercino (1591-1666), Pinacoteca Nazionale, Bologna, 1991, no. 139 (Denis Mahon).
- Salerno, Luigi. I Dipinti del Guercino. Roma, 1988: 334, under no. 163.
- Stone, David. Guercino, Catalogo completo dei dipinti. Florence, 1991: 257, under no. 247.
- Stone, David. Guercino master Draftsman, Works from North American Collections, Exh. Cat. Harvard University Art Museums, 1991, and tour, under no. 29, and Supplemental Checklist, no. 166, pl. I.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: