across center reverse: Painted by James Peale Sen / 1824.
Private collection, New Jersey; (Frank S. Schwartz & Son, Philadelphia), by 1987; sold 1 February 1988 to the Jeanne Rowe Mathison Family Trust; gift 1990 to NGA.
- Raphaelle Peale Still Lifes, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1988-1989, no. 58.
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, 138-139, color repro.
- Feast for the Eyes: American Masterworks from the National Gallery of Art, Academy Art Museum, Easton, Maryland, 2008, no cat.
- Schwarz, Robert Devlin. A Gallery Collects Peales. Philadelphia, 1987: 54, pl. 43.
- Cikovsky, Nicolai, Jr.Raphaelle Peale Still Lifes. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia. Washington, D.C., 1988: 77, pl. 58.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 43-46, color repro.