lower left: John Constable pinxt. 1822.
John Gibbons [1777-1851], Corbyn's Hall, Staffordshire, and London; by inheritance to his son, the Reverend Benjamin Gibbons [1824-1894], Waresley House and Waresley Court, Worcestershire, and London; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 26 May 1894, no. 6); purchased by (Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London) for Sir Charles Clow Tennant, 1st bt. [1823-1906], The Glen, near Innerleithen, Peeblesshire, Scotland; by descent in the family to his great-grandson, Colin Christopher Paget Tennant, 3rd baron Glenconner [1926-2010], The Glen; sold November 1975 through (Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London) to Mrs. Ruth Carter Stevenson [1923-2013], Fort Worth; bequest to NGA.
- British Institution, London, 1823, no. 148.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters, and by Deceased Masters of the British School; including a collection of drawings and models by Alfred Stevens. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1890, no. 52, as Sea-Piece, with Jetty.
- Twenty Masterpieces of the English School, Thos. Agnew and Sons, Ltd., London, 1897, no. 3.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters and Deceased Masters of the British School. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1903, no. 41.
- The First Hundred Years of the Royal Academy, 1769-1868. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1951-1952, no. 206, as Yarmouth Pier.
- Dutch Painting and the East Anglian School, Castle Museum, Norwich, 1954, no. 16.
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, unnumbered catalogue, color repro.
- From the Private Collections of Texas: European Art, Ancient to Modern, Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth, 2009-2010.
- Holmes, Charles John. Constable and His Influence on Landscape Painting. Westminster, 1902: 246.
- Leslie, Charles Robert, and Andrew Shirley. Memoirs of the life of John Constable, R.A., by C.R. Leslie, R.A., edited and enlarged by the Hon. Andrew Shirley. London, 1937: lxix, 137, 142, pl. 79.