Monsieur F. Stumpf and his family were art collectors and great friends of the Barbizon painters Corot and Dupré. Correspondence between both artists and Monsieur Stumpf exists, attesting to the affection between them. The letters indicate that on his travels to Coubron or Ville d'Avray, Corot would visit with the Stumpf family; the Stumpfs also had a summer home at Etretat. The last correspondence between Corot and Monsieur Stumpf was on 6 January 1875, about 6 weeks before the artist's death. Stumpf was director of the Cristallerie de Pantin, a manufacturer of decorative glass in a Paris suburb. A large part of Stumpf's art collection was sold at Galerie Georges Petit in 1906. Mme. Stumpf and her daughter Madeleine, later Mme. Barbier de Saint Hilaire, are the subjects of a Corot painting in the NGA (1970.17.23).
Galerie George Petit, Catalogue de tableaux moderne composant la collection de feu M.F. Stumpf, Paris, 1906