Admission is always free Directions

Open today: 10:00 to 5:00

Inscription

lower right: JMaris 73

Provenance

Sir Henry Thompson, 1st bt. [1820-1904].[1] George McCulloch [1848-1907], London, by 1903;[2] (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 23, 29, and 30 May 1913, 1st day, no. 35); (Henry Wallis & Son, London); purchased 30 October 1916 by Henry Clay Frick [1849-1919], Pride’s Crossing, Eagle Rock, Massachusetts, and New York;[3] by inheritance to his daughter, Helen Clay Frick [1888-1984], Pride’s Crossing; gift 19 October 1959 to her nephew, Dr. Henry Clay Frick, II [1919-2007], Alpine, New Jersey;[4] (Noortman [Maastricht] BV, Maastricht); purchased 16 June 1999 by NGA.

Exhibition History
1873
Possibly Salon, Palais des Champs-Élysées, Paris, 1873, no. 1006, as Canal en Hollande.
1903
Exhibition of a Selection of Works by Early and Modern Painters of the Dutch School, Art Gallery of the Corporation of London, 1903, no. 101, as River and Windmill.
1910
Selected Works by James Maris, Anton Mauve, H. Fantin-Latour, French Gallery, London, 1910, no. 25, repro., as The Two Windmills.
1938
Loan to display with permanent collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1938.
1942
Loan to display with permanent collection, Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, 1942-1949.
1949
Exhibition of Paintings to Commemorate the Centenary of Henry Clay Frick, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1949-1950, no. 3.
1950
An Exhibition of Paintings from the Collection of Helen C. Frick, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1950, no. 1, as Two Windmills.
1997
Langs velden en wegen. De verbeelding van het landschap in de 18de en 19de eeuw [On Country Roads and Fields: The depiction of the 18th- and 19th-century landscape], Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 1997-1998, no. 78, repro.