lower right, VG in ligature: VGoyen 1646
“Collection of a Gentleman of Nottinghamshire;” (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 1846). probably acquired 1878 by H. Smith Wright, Nottingham. Thomas Wright [1773-1845], Upton (Apton) Hall, near Southwell, Nottinghamshire. (sale, Sir George Donaldson, London, 1906); purchased by William A. Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Nottingham, 1878, no. 48.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1906-1909.
- Hudson-Fulton Celebration, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1909, no. 18.
- Loan Exhibition: Masterpieces from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, A Benefit Exhibition in Honor of the Gallery's Centenary, Wildenstein Galleries, New York, 1959, catalogue without checklist.
- 25th Birthday Exhibition: Treasures in America, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1961, catalogue without checklist.
- Masters of Landscape: East and West, Munson-Williams- Proctor Institute, Utica; Rochester Memorial Art Gallery, 1963, no. 23.
- The William A. Clark Collection: An exhibition marking the 50th Anniversary of the installation of The Clark Collection at The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978, catalogue without checklist.
- Masters of 17th Century Dutch Landscape Painting, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1987-1988, no. 37.
- Great Dutch Paintings from America, Royal Cabinet of Paintings Mauritshuis, The Hague; The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1991, no. 23 (shown only in San Francisco).
- Antiquities to Impressionism: The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002,catalogue without checklist.