on box in center left foreground, upside down: David Norslup BXDXVII
Private collection; purchased by (Victor D. Spark, New York); purchased 1960 by the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- Past and Present, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1966.
- African Image, Walters Gallery, Baltimore, MD, 1980.
- Of Time and Place: American Figurative Art from the Corcoran Gallery, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; Cincinnati Art Museum; San Diego Museum of Art; University of Kentucky Art Museum, Lexington; Hunter Museum of Art, Chattanooga; Philbrook Art Center, Tulsa; Portland Art Museum, Oregon; Des Moines Art Center; Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, FL, 1981-1983, no. 23, as David Norslup (?).
- Figuratively Speaking: The Human Form in American Art, 1770-1950, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 20 November 2004-7 August 2005, unpublished checklist.
- American Journeys: Visions of Place, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 21 September 2013-28 September 2014, unpublished checklist.
- Cash, Sarah, ed. Corcoran Gallery of Art: American Paintings to 1945. Washington, 2011: 311, repro.