lower left: TS (in monogram) 18[--]
John Foster Jenkins [1826-1882], husband of the sitters' sister, Elizabeth Sicard David Jenkins [d. 1885]; their son, John Foster Jenkins, Jr. [1861-1931], Yonkers, New York; Albert Rosenthal [1863-1939], Philadelphia, and (Ehrich Galleries, New York); Cornelius Michaelsen, New York; (his sale, Rains Galleries, New York, 8 May 1935, no. 88); Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Fifteenth Annual Exhibition of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1826, no. 19.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Stuart and Sully, Ehrich Galleries, New York, 1917, no. 17.
- Paintings by Thomas Sully, Ehrich Galleries, New York, 1920, unnumbered.
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Paintings, New Jersey State Museum, Trenton, 1931, no. 16.
- An Exhibition of American Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection, The Union League Club, New York, 1937, no. 12.
- John Trumbull and his Contemporaries, Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, Connecticut, 1944, no. 122.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Hart 1909, no. 417, 52.
- Biddle, Edward, and Mantle Fielding. The Life and Works of Thomas Sully (1783-1872). Philadelphia, 1921: no. 438, 135.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. "Some Unfamiliar American Paintings." Art News 35, no. 17 (23 January 1937): 20.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 34, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 112, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 244, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: detail 84, 87, color repro. 95.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 362, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 165-168, color repro.