lower right: Louis Mader; lower center: View of the Berks-County-Almshouse, 1895. / DIRECTORS: DR. WM. H. SEITZINGER--JOHN A. HIESTER--JONATHAN W. SCHWARTZ. / STEWARD: JOHN W. GILBERT--UNDER STEWARD: OLIVER C. SITLER. / CLERK: SAMUEL M. DECK.
Recorded as from Reading, Pennsylvania. Purchased in 1947 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- Pennsylvania Almshouse Painters--Charles Hofmann, John Rasmussen and Louis Mader, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1968, unpaginated and unnumbered (cat. by Thomas Armstrong).
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 80, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 197, repro.
- Armstrong, Thomas. "Charles C. Hofmann." In Lipman, Jean, and Tom Armstrong, eds. American Folk Painters of Three Centuries. Exh. cat. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1950: 103-109. (discusses Almshouse as institution).
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 230, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 249-250, repro. 250.