on book: REMEMBER / ME
Mr. and Mrs. Philo Franklin Wilcox, Springfield, Massachusetts, by 1845; by inheritance to their son, Frank P. Wilcox; his daughter, Theresa Wilcox Powers, by 1949; her niece, Josephine Powers Clapp [Mrs. R. Duncan Clapp], Sarasota, Florida, 1949-1953; sold to (Peter Kostoff, Springfield, Massachusetts); sold 1953 to Edgar and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1959 to NGA.
- Twenty-five Folk Artists: Their Lives and Work, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1971, no cat.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary William T. Coleman, Jr., U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C., 1976-1977.
- Joseph Whiting Stock, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1977, 2, 7, 55-56, no. 29, color repro. on cover.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, no. 14, color repro. (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 58, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 58, repro.
- Meet Your Neighbors: New England Portraits, Painters, & Society, 1790-1850, Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts, 1992, 32, fig. 11. (cat. by Jessica F. Nicoll).
- Is She or Isn't He? Identifying Gender in Folk Portraits of Children. Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, Massachusetts, 1995, no. 36, repro.
- American Naive Paintings from the Garbisch Collection at the National Gallery of Art, Taubman Museum of Art, Roanoke, Virginia, 2010, no cat.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 100, repro.
- Tomlinson, Juliette, ed. The Paintings and the Journal of Joseph Whiting Stock. Middletown, Connecticut, 1976: 44, 66-67, fig. 1 :30.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 225, repro.
- Black, Mary. "Phrenological Association, Footnotes to the Biographies of Two Folk Artists." The Clarion (Fall 1984): 44-52, fig. 1.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 344, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 377-379, color repro. 378.
- Meet Your Neighbors: New England Portraits, Painters, & Society, 1790-1850. Exh. cat. Old Sturbridge Village, Massachusetts, 1992: 32, fig. 11 (cat. by Jessica F. Nicoll).