Recorded as from Maryland. (Frederick Fuessenich, Litchfield, Connecticut). (Harry Shaw Newman, Old Print Shop, New York), by whom sold in 1952 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1959.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 37.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri, 1958, no cat.
- Ammi Phillips, 1788-1865, Connecticut Historical Society, Hartford, 1965-1966, special issue of Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 30 (October 1965), 104, no. 171, repro. on cover.
- Ammi Phillips, Museum of American Folk Art, New York, 1968, 27, no. 59, (cat. by Barbara and Lawrence Holdridge).
- The American Primitive Paintings Exhibit, organized by the Triton Museum of Art, Santa Clara, California, for de Saisset Art Gallery, University of Santa Clara, 1968.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Dublin, Ireland, 1975-1978.
- Revisiting Ammi Phillips: Fifty Years of American Portraiture, Museum of American Folk Art, New York; San Diego Museum of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Chicago, 1994, plate XVIII.
- Warren, William Lamson. "Ammi Phillips, A Critique." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 31 (January 1966): 13.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 88, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 208, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 260, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 277, repro. 276.
- Brownstein, Joan R., and Bobbi Terkowitz. "A brilliant formula: Ammi Phillips's women in white." Antiques CLXXII, no. 5 (November 2007): 152-161, repro.