Sophie Cuthbert Aspinwall [Mrs. Woolsey Aspinwall], Washington; her son, John Cuthbert Aspinwall, Norfolk, Virginia; sold to (Eunice Chambers, Hartsville, South Carolina); purchased January 1955 by Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1965 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1972-1974.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Frank Carlucci, U.S. Embassy residence, Lisbon, Portugal, 1976-1979.
- Middleton, Margaret Simons. Jeremiah Theus: Colonial Artist of Charles Town. Columbia, South Carolina, 1953: 126.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 116, repro., as Mr. Cuthbert.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 247, repro., as Mr. Cuthbert.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 367, repro., as Mr. Cuthbert.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 294-295, repro. 296.