on lower fence rail, left: CSH (in monogram); on lower fence rail, right: 214.; lower right: CHAS. S. HUMPHREYS. / Camden, N.J. 1876; on banner in reverse: BELMONT. / DRI[V]ING PARK / ASSOC[IA]TION.
Recorded as from New York State. (Robert Carlen, Philadelphia); sold 1957 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift 1971 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by the U.S. Consulate, Leningrad, U.S.S.R., 1973-1979.
- Where the Action Is, Mobile Art Gallery, Alabama, 1973, no. 19, as Trotter at Belmont Driving Park.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Damascus, Syria, 1982-1984.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador John D. Scanlan, U.S. Embassy residence, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, 1985-1992.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary Mike Nicholson, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, D.C., 2005-2007.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 178, repro.
- The National Gallery of Art, Circle Bulletin no. 7 (Spring 1991): unpaginated, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 207, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 218-219, repro. 217.