Recorded as from Massachusetts. (David Stockwell, Wilmington, Delaware), by whom sold in 1954 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- Picturing Gentility: Portraits of Women in American Art, The Hyde Collection, Glens Falls, New York, 2000, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 7.
- American Naive Paintings from the Garbisch Collection at the National Gallery of Art, Taubman Museum of Art, Roanoke, Virginia, 2010, no cat.
- French, Reginald F., and Agnes M. Dods. "Erastus Salisbury Field, 1805-1900." Connecticut Historical Society Bulletin 28 (October 1963): 123, no. 195 (includes their "Checklist of Paintings attributed to E. S. Field").
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 179, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 115, 119, repro. 118.