Recorded as from Massachusetts. Descended in the family of the sitter to Mrs. John Tracy Duncan, Grenada, Mississippi, who owned it until 1962. (W.E. Browne Decorating Company, Atlanta, Georgia), by whom sold in 1962 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 19, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- The New World: 1620-1970, Chrysler Art Museum, Provincetown, Massachusetts, 1970, no. 5.
- What is American in American Art, M. Knoedler and Co. [benefit exhibition for the Museum of American Folk Art], New York, 1971, no. 9, repro., as Dr. Philomen Tracy.
- American Naive Paintings from the Natioanl Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 7, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 7, repro.
- Five Star Folk Art, Museum of American Folk Art, New York, 1990, no. 4 (cat. by Jane Lipman).
- Toner, J. M. The Medical Men of the Revolution with a Brief History of the Medical Dept. of the Continental Army ... Address to the Alumni Association of Jefferson Medical College, March 11, 1876. Philadelphia, 1876: Collins, Print.
- Allin, Thomas B., ed. We Americans. Washington, 1975: 110.
- Garrett, Elisabeth Donaghy. At Home: The American Family 1750-1870. New York, 1990: color repro. 243.
- Lipman, Jean, et al. Five Star Folk Art. Exh. cat. New York, 1990: 19, 29-30, color pl. 4.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 429, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 608-610, color repro. 609.