center near door in black ink: R[reversed]B 1853; by later hand, lower left scratched out: JB; by later hand, lower right in brown ink: Jly Benazech fecit
Marks and Labels
embossed circular BRISTOL PAPER stamp
Gerard White, Paris; purchased by Ian Woodner (via Eric Coatelen), New York, November 1987; by inheritance to his daughters, Andrea and Dian Woodner, New York, 1990; gift to NGA, 1991.
The initials and signature in the lower left and right of the drawing provide an interesting footnote to the provenance of the drawing. The initials "JB" are crudely scratched into the board and the inscription "Jly Benazech fecit" was written in brown not black ink, by a previous owner of this drawing. There is nothing known about Benazech, and there is no information as to why he might have intervened in the drawing in this way. (MET 1990, 262)
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collection, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1990, no. 112.
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996, no. 106, as.
- Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007.
- The Darker Side of Light: Arts of Privacy, 1850-1900, Hammer Museum, Los Angeles; NGA; Smart Museum of Art, Chicago, 2009 - 2010
- The Touch of the Artist: Master Drawings from the Woodner Collections. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1995-1996: no. 106.