- Arcimboldo, 1526–1593: Nature and Fantasy
- September 19, 2010 – January 9, 2011
- East Building, Mezzanine
This exhibition is no longer on view at the National Gallery.
Overview: 16 paintings of fantastic heads composed of animals, plants, and objects by 16th-century Italian painter
A 15-foot-tall fiberglass sculpture by American artist
On September 19 exhibition curator Sylvia Ferino-Pagden presented the lecture "Arcimboldo: Lombard Painter between Leonardo and Caravaggio," followed by a book signing of the catalog. A documentary film, Arcimboldo: Nature and Fantasy, produced by the National Gallery of Art, was presented in East Building auditoriums during the exhibition. A short version of the film was shown continuously within the installation. In November, special Sunday concerts offered music of Renaissance composers in honor of the exhibition.
Organization: The exhibition was organized by the National Gallery of Art, Washington. Sylvia Ferino-Pagden, curator of Italian Renaissance painting, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, was curator. David Alan Brown, curator, and Gretchen Hirschauer, associate curator, department of Italian and Spanish paintings, National Gallery of Art, coordinated the exhibition in Washington.
Sponsor: The exhibition was made possible by Louisa and Robert Duemling. It was sponsored by Altria Group with additional support provided by The Exhibition Circle of the National Gallery of Art. The exhibition was supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities. The film was made possible by the HRH Foundation.
Attendance: 133,753 (113 days)
Brochure: Arcimboldo, 1526–1593: Nature and Fantasy, by Sylvia Ferino-Pagden et al. Washington: National Gallery of Art, 2010.
Other Venues: Palazzo Reale, Milan, February 9–May 22, 2011
Audio and Video
- Arcimboldo, 1526-1593: Nature and Fantasy
- Audio, Released: November 2, 2010, (12:42 minutes)
- Winter (after Arcimboldo) by Philip Haas
- Audio, Released: September 28, 2010, (28:26 minutes)
- Arcimboldo: Nature and Fantasy
- Video, Released: September 14, 2010, (14:11 minutes)
- Press Event: Arcimboldo, 1526-1593: Nature and Fantasy
- Audio, Released: September 14, 2010, (27:51 minutes)