- May 11 – October 5, 2014
- West Building, Main Floor
This exhibition is no longer on view at the National Gallery.
From the moment the American
The affinity between the two artists is undeniable. Both were realists who drew their inspiration from the human figure and the depiction of modern life, while they eschewed landscape almost entirely. Both were highly educated, known for their intelligence and wit, and from well-to-do banking families. They were peers, moving in the same social and intellectual circles. Cassatt, who had settled in Paris in 1874, first met Degas in 1877 when he invited her to participate with the impressionists at their next exhibition. Over the next decade, the two artists engaged in an intense dialogue, turning to each other for advice and challenging each other to experiment with materials and techniques. Both made printmaking an important aspect of their careers and for a time collaborated on their endeavors. Their admiration and support for each other endured long after their art began to head in different directions: Degas continued to acquire Cassatt’s work, while she promoted his to collectors back in the United States. They remained devoted friends for forty years, until Degas’s death.
Organization: Organized by the National Gallery of Art, Washington
Sponsors: The exhibition is made possible by a generous grant from Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. in celebration of its 100th Anniversary.
The Robert and Mercedes Eichholz Foundation is the foundation sponsor.
The exhibition is supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
Narrated by deputy director Franklin Kelly, this tour includes commentary by exhibition curator Kimberly A. Jones, Ann Hoenigswald, senior conservator of paintings, and Kimberly Schenck, head of paper conservation.
Rental: $5, available at the entrance to the exhibition
Audio and Video
- Degas and Cassatt: Different Perspectives, Part 4: Boxes of Colors: Cassatt and Degas as Pastellists
- Audio, Released: December 9, 2014, (44:06 minutes)
- Degas and Cassatt: Different Perspectives, Part 3: Degas: Women, Horses, and Nature
- Audio, Released: December 2, 2014, (31:50 minutes)
- Degas and Cassatt: Different Perspectives, Part 2: Degas and Cassatt: Sex and the Single Artist
- Audio, Released: November 25, 2014, (31:50 minutes)
- Degas and Cassatt: Different Perspectives, Part 1: Degas, Cassatt, and the Americans
- Audio, Released: November 18, 2014, (30:38 minutes)
- Degas/Cassatt at the National Gallery of Art
- Video, Released: July 29, 2014, (4:53 minutes)
- Mary Cassatt's Radical Monstrosities
- Audio, Released: June 3, 2014, (53:44 minutes)
- Introduction to the Exhibition: Degas/Cassatt
- Audio, Released: May 20, 2014, (54:18 minutes)
- "Degas/Cassatt," Now on View!
- Video, Released: May 6, 2014, (00:15 minutes)
- Press Event: "Degas/Cassatt"
- Audio, Released: May 6, 2014, (23:28 minutes)
- "The Boating Party", 1893/1894, Mary Cassatt
- Video, Released: November 1, 2011, (2:09 minutes)