across bottom: A VIEW OF MOUNT.VERNON THE SEAT OF GENERAL WASHINGTON.
Recorded as from a home in Baltimore, Maryland. (H. Milton Feldman, city unknown), by whom sold in 1949 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1953.
- Exhibition of Early American Art, Academy of the Arts, Talbot County Historical Society, Easton, Maryland, 1962, no. 31.
- The Flowering of American Folk Art 1776-1876, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond; M.H. De Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, 1974, no. 265, repro. (cat. by Lipman and Winchester).
- Extended loan for use by The Octagon House, Washington, D.C., 1975.
- Extended loan for use by the Ambassador, U.S. Embassy residence, Tokyo, Japan, 1976-1980.
- George Washington: A Figure Upon the Stage, National Museum of American History, Smithsonian, Washington, 1982-1983, no. 145, color repro. (cat. by M. Brown Klapthor and H. Alexander Morrison).
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 154, repro.
- Little, Nina Fletcher. Country Arts in Early American Homes. New York, 1975: 103, 105, 185.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 301, repro.
- Lipman, Jean, et al. Young America. New York, 1986: color repro., 17.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 431, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 624-626, color repro. 625.