Recorded as from New York. Private collection, Boston; sold by October 1965 to (Hirschl and Adler Galleries, New York), by whom sold in 1965 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; gift to NGA, 1969.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 72, repro. First venue, Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, by the the Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., and Mainichi News., Mihobashi Mitsukoshi, Tokyo, 1970, no cat.
- Seascape and the American Imagination, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1975, 40, 43, 117 (cat. by Roger B. Stein).
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- Night Lights: 19th and 20th Century American Nocturne Paintings, Taft Museum, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1985, 4, 19.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Robie Marcus Hooker Palmer, U.S. Embassy residence, Budapest, Hungary, 1986-1990.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador James R. Woolsey, U.S. Representative to the Negotiations on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe, ambassadorial residence, Vienna, Austria, 1990-1993.
- Extended loan for use by Secretary William Richardson, U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, D.C., 1999-2001.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Robert Zoellick, U.S. Trade Representative, Washington, D.C., 2001-2005.
- Thomas Chambers, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia; The Hyde Collection Art Museum, Glens Falls; American Folk Art Museum, New York; Indiana University Art Museum, Bloomington, 2008-2010, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 2-3.
- The Color of the Moon: Lunar Painting in American Art, The Hudson River Museum, Yonkers; James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, 2019.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 128, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 138, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 56-58, repro. 58.