Benjamin West; Sir Thomas Lawrence (Lugt 2445); (Samuel Woodburn); Lord Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere (Lust 2710b); by descent in his family (sale, Sotheby's, London, 5 December 1972, no. 48); (Richard Day, London); NGA purchase in 1973.
- Fifth Exhibition. Julio Romano, Francesco Primaticcio, Leonardo da Vinci and Perino del Vaga, The Lawrence Gallery, London, 1836, no. 13 (catalogue by Samuel Woodburn).
- The Ellesmere Collection of Old Master Drawings, The Museums and Art Gallery, Leicester, 1954, no. 100.
- Recent Acquisitions and Promised Gifts, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1974, p. 200.
- The Draftsman's Eye, Late Italian Renaissance Schools and Styles, The Cleveland Museum of Art, 1979 (the catalogue published in 1981), pp. 54, 88-89, no. 63 (as after Giulio Romano)(catalogue for the exhibition held in Cleveland in 1979).
- Fürsthöfe der Renaissance, Giulio Romano und die Klassische Tradition, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, 1989, p. 164, no. IV/61.
- Giulio Romano, Palazzo Te, Mantua, 1989, p. 405.
- Catalogue of the Ellesmere Collection of Drawings at Bridgewater House. London, 1898: no. 50.
- Hartt, Frederick. Giulio Romano. New Haven, 1958, 1: 185, 301, no. 227.
- Shearman, John. Early Italian Pictures in the Collection of Her Majesty the Queen. Cambridge, 1983: 123.