Recorded as from South Carolina. (W. Holsclaw, Charleston, South Carolina), in 1954. (Eunice Chambers, Hartsville, South Carolina); sold 1955 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; bequest 1980 to NGA.
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 42.
- 101 Masterpieces of American Primitive Painting from the Collection of E.W. an B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by the Amer. Federation of Arts, New York, 1961-1964, no. 50, color repro., as Mrs. John Harrison and Her Daughter Maria by Nathaniel Mayhew.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 40, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 44, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 44, repro.
- Hill, Joyce. "Cross Currents: Faces, Figureheads and Scrimshaw Fancies." The Clarion (Spring/Summer 1984): 29-30.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 234, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 255, 258, color repro. 256.