lower left: C.F. SEnior; on newspaper: THE / AMERICAN FIELD; on boxes, lower left: ANA / CIGARS
Recorded as from New York. (Harry Stone, New York), by whom sold in 1946 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 109. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 55, color repro. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 55, repro.
- The American Wildlife Image and Charles Frace, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C., 1992-1993, no cat.
- Peterson, Harold L. Americans at Home. New York, 1971: fig. 177 and caption.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 335, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 339-341, color repro. 340.