on reverse (no longer visible, recorded in donor records but no known photograph): Painted by Wagguno, 1858
Recorded as from Lambertville, New Jersey. (Edgar H. Sittig, Shawnee-on-Delaware, Pennsylvania), by whom sold in 1950 to Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch; by bequest to NGA, 1980.
- American Primitive Painting from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part I, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1954, no. 10.
- American Naive Painting of the 18th and 19th Centuries: 111 Masterpieces from the Collection of E.W. and B.C. Garbisch, traveling exh. by Amer. Fed. of Arts, N.Y., 1968-1970, no. 89, repro. First venue: Grand Palais, Paris.
- The New World: 1620-1970, Chrysler Art Museum, Provincetown, Massachusetts, 1970, no. 18.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Exh. cat. Traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 59, color frontispiece. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, N.Y.
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 59, repro.
- Neumeyer, Alfred. Geschichte der Amerikanischen Malerei. Munich, 1974: 145, fig. 148.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 372, repro.
- Chotner, Deborah, with contributions by Julie Aronson, Sarah D. Cash, and Laurie Weitzenkorn. American Naive Paintings. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 386-388, color repro. 387.