Jasper Francis Cropsey's The Spirit of War and The Spirit of Peace
March 6 – April 16, 1994
West Building, Main Floor, Gallery 60
This exhibition is no longer on view at the National Gallery.
Overview: This focus exhibition showed Cropsey's companion paintings The Spirit of War, acquired by the National Gallery in 1978, and The Spirit of Peace, which was lent for the exhibition by the Woodmere Art Museum, Philadelphia. These works, painted as pendants in 1851, were seen together by the public for the first time in over one century.
Organization: The exhibition was organized by Franklin Kelly, curator of American and British paintings at the National Gallery. The brochure was made possible by a donation from Mrs. John C. Newington.
Brochure: Jasper Francis Cropsey: The Spirit of War and The Spirit of Peace, by Franklin Kelly. Washington, DC: National Gallery of Art, 1994.