- George Bellows
- June 10 – October 8, 2012
- West Building, Main Floor, Northeast Galleries
This exhibition is no longer on view at the National Gallery.
The exhibition will begin with Bellows' renowned paintings of tenement children, boxers, and the urban landscape of New York. These iconic images of the modern city were made during an extraordinary period of creativity for the artist, from shortly after his arrival from Columbus, Ohio, in 1904, up to the Armory Show in 1913, and remain his best-known works. They include
Complementing the earlier signature masterpieces will be groupings that bring to light other crucial, yet less familiar aspects of Bellows' prodigious achievement, including his Maine seascapes, sporting scenes (polo and tennis), World War I subjects, family portraits, and Woodstock, NY, subjects. Drawings and lithographs will illuminate Bellows' working methods and the relationships between his various media. The show will end with paintings from 1924, the year before his sudden death from peritonitis. These last works, including Dempsey and Firpo (Whitney Museum of American Art) and The White Horse (Worcester Art Museum), will prompt visitors to contemplate the artist Bellows might have become had he lived into the 1960s like his great contemporary,
Organization: Organized by the National Gallery of Art, Washington, in association with The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, and the Royal Academy of Arts, London.
Sponsor: The exhibition is made possible by Nippon Television Network Corporation, Tokyo, Japan. The Terra Foundation for American Art is the proud sponsor of the exhibition in Washington and London. The exhibition is generously supported by the Henry Luce Foundation. In Washington, it is also made possible by the Cordover Family Foundation, with additional support provided by The Mr. and Mrs. Raymond J. Horowitz Foundation for the Arts. This exhibition is supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
Catalog: George Bellows, edited by Charles Brock. Washington, D.C.: National Gallery of Art, 2012.
Other Venues: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, November 15, 2012–February 18, 2013
Royal Academy of Arts, London, March 16–June 9, 2013
- George Bellows
- Video, Released: May 26, 2015, (31:19 minutes)
- George Bellows Symposium: The Late Work of George Bellows and the Question of Modernity
- Audio, Released: December 4, 2012, (32:56 minutes)
- George Bellows Symposium: The Ashcan Goes to War: Bellows, Belligerence, and the Rape of Belgium
- Audio, Released: November 27, 2012, (32:56 minutes)
- George Bellows Symposium: Sunday in the Park with George Bellows
- Audio, Released: November 20, 2012, (32:56 minutes)
- George Bellows Symposium: Bellows' "Riverfront": The Pestilential City and the Problem of Masculinity
- Audio, Released: November 13, 2012, (32:56 minutes)
- George Bellows Symposium: Bellows "Both In and Out of the Game"
- Audio, Released: October 23, 2012, (34:27 minutes)
- George Bellows Symposium: "Election Night, Times Square"
- Audio, Released: October 23, 2012, (35:32 minutes)
- The Art of Boxing—George Bellows at the National Gallery of Art, Washington
- Video, Released: October 2, 2012, (4:05 minutes)
- George Bellows, Part 2
- Video, Released: June 19, 2012, (13:29 minutes)
- George Bellows, Part 1
- Video, Released: June 12, 2012, (20:42 minutes)