Ask students to examine the works of art in the image set and pair what they see as related works. Students might consider some of the following characteristics (or come up with their own):
1. Mood—expressive, controlled, bold, quiet
2. Techniques and materials—how was the work of art made?
3. Subject—person, place, thing
4. Setting—public, private, ambiguous
5. Your interpretation of the works’ meaning
6. A story you create that links two works
Call on individual students to share their pairings (to the entire class) or, alternatively, ask them to share in small group settings.