Exploring Identity through Modern Art
Grades 6 through 12
In what ways do artists draw on memories and experiences to create art that reflects their identities? How does an artist’s connection to place spark inspiration? Through guided looking, sketching, and writing activities, students will consider how artists explore identity through their art.
Looking and Learning Skills
During three to four tour stops, students engage in activities that foster converations around works of art, such as careful looking and creative writing exercises. These activities promote the following skills:
• Making careful observations using evidence from the works of art;.
• Formulating questions and connections that demonstrate curiosity and engagement;
• Exploring multiple viewpoints within the student group;
• Using one’s own perspective to contribute to the discussion;
• Developing and articulating new ideas about modern art and identity.
Length: 30, 45, or 60 minutes
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
We greatly value your feedback about your school tour experience. Please submit this form to share your feedback.