Memory and Making: Gee’s Bend Quilts
Age 4 through Grade 2
The National Gallery will offer a selection of in-person and virtual tours (using Zoom) for winter/spring 2023.
Requests for winter/spring tours (January 9, 2023 – June 2, 2023) will be accepted from December 1, 2022 – May 1, 2023.
Women in the community of Gee’s Bend, Alabama, create quilts inspired by the world around them, using materials that hold layers of memory. During this tour in the Called to Create exhibition, students will look closely at the Gee’s Bend quilts, using poetry and artmaking to understand these works of art. On this tour, students will develop their Looking and Learning Skills. They will
- Observe, describe, compare, and contrast works of art
- Understand that artists draw on their memories and the world around them as inspiration
- Discover that artists use found materials and repurpose them to create works of art
- Make personal connections with the works of art
- Create “collage quilts” inspired by the works of art and personal memories
- Feel a sense of belonging in the museum setting
In-Person Tour Information
Number of students: Up to 45 students
Length: 60 minutes
Meeting location: East Building Atrium
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation in 10 business days.
We greatly value your feedback about your school tour experience. Please submit this form to share your feedback.