Grades 4 through 12
The National Gallery of Art will offer a selection of in-person and virtual tours (using Zoom) for fall 2022.
Requests for all tours (October 3 – December 2) will be accepted from August 1 – November 4, 2022
What radical changes in art and life marked the period known as the Renaissance? During this tour, students will consider this question by exploring artistic developments such as perspective, the naturalistic representation of the human figure, and the influence of scientific discovery and humanism.
Looking and Learning Skills
During four or five tour stops in the galleries, students engage in activities—such as looking exercises, small-group work, and sketching—that foster conversations about works of art. On this tour, students will practice the following skills:
• Comparing and contrasting different visual representations of Renaissance ideas.
• Reasoning with evidence from the works of art and using them as primary sources on Renaissance art and society.
• Making and articulating careful observations.
• Formulating questions that demonstrate curiosity and engagement.
• Connecting new ideas discussed on the tour to prior knowledge of Renaissance art and culture.
Examples of Works Featured on Tour
In-Person Tour Information
Group Size: Up to 90 students
Length: 75 minutes
Meeting Location: West Building Rotunda
Tours must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance. Groups must contain at least 15 students.
Once your tour has been scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation in 10 business days.